Wednesday, September 12, 2012

71st Annual Juried Exhibition: Beth Shapiro Prusky

Playing with materials is an integral part of the beginning of some of my work. The delicious looseness of the acrylic paint as the it mixes with water. I know the formulas. They are old friends to me. 

Wonderfully, each time there is a freshness for me in how the brush carries the paint. Decisions about Mars black or Panye's grey give me deep satisfaction in the choosing. The mediums when added to the paint all have a signature like a finger print, it becomes an intensely personal adventure.

As I begin to explore a new idea I don't categorize a work as a drawing or painting. The final pieces are all drawings/paintings to me. My intention to create a painting on any particular day in the studio becomes subservient as the form emerges. 


The drawing comes in as needed, at the right time. Sometimes the emotion of subject as the form emerges dictates where I move next. This more than anything helps to move the process.


In this newer series, In a Word, I enjoy using my whole body as I work and started pouring and shifting the paint while working on the floor. As the layers built up I would find the figure within the materials. The forms came to me through the materials. It's a slow process and gives me time to look and think before I make a decision. Lines become the right ones to define a shape and tell the story.





The layers give me time to pause between studio days to let the painting breathe and let me contemplate it. The trickiest part is always knowing when it is finished and to allow the incompleteness to sit perfectly unresolved.


by Beth Shapiro Prusky


Beth's work is featured in Woodmere Art Museum's  71st Annual Juried Exhibition.


About Woodmere's 71st Annual Juried Exhibition: 
Woodmere's 71st Annual Juried Exhibition, juried by artist Alex Kanevsky, will feature works in a variety of media from 46 artists living within 50 miles of the Museum. Works were chosen to create a cohesive presentation that explores contemporary ideas within the arts of Philadelphia. In conjunction with the juried show, Kanevsky's own work will be on view in the exhibition Alex Kanevsky: Some Paintings and Drawings, and the artist has also selected some of Woodmere's works of art for display in Selections from the Collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment